Monday, October 15, 2012

October part one: Centers Reorganized

So today marks the first day of my new centers organization...yeah I know, it's already wayyy past September!  I liked the way I ran my math & literacy centers in the past but for my class this year it simply WAS NOT WORKING.  Yep, admitting is the first step. ;)  Anyways, for those of you that do not know (probably everyone) I gave the students MUCHO freedom when it came to centers.  I liked them being first thing when the kiddos walked in the door, and both math & literacy altogether.  The students had must-dos which were important centers they HAD to make time for each morning.  And they changed EVERYDAY.  It worked well, and taught them time-management skills while also giving them choices.  Me like.  Until this year.  

This year's class has a little trouble doing anything.  I'm not kidding.  Love them to pieces but they require quite a bit of hand-holding.  And the parents don't help.  SO....Now I switched to the dark-side and chose centers for them.  I have them complete 2 literacy centers and 2 math centers a day.  They can go to the free centers (i.e. kitchen, science, and blocks) after they complete their must-dos, instead of spending all their time at one center (and then arguing about who's been there too long, etc.).  I still don't use a timer (some centers just do not take as long as others) but my students rocked them today (I forgot to take a picture)! We'll see how the rest of the week looks....

Literacy Centers Management Chart
My chart...sort-of.  Minus the names and model and insert pale, white California gal with sweat dripping off her temples (no a/c in my room) and you've got it! Lol.


Five groups of 3-4 students.  Centers stay the same all week but the students rotate--Smooth sailing for me the rest of the week! :)  Ah breathing in that sigh of relief right now.  I could get used to this!

How do you manage your centers?


No comments:

Post a Comment